WHY Do You Speak?
21st February 2022 | By Amy Rowlinson
By Amy Rowlinson
If I were to ask you do you know why you speak about what you speak about, would you know?
When you focus on WHY, you understand how to choose a topic which communicates value, relevance and purpose to your audience.
Taking time to focus on your purpose is time well invested. As a human, you’re built for purpose and you’re driven by purpose but don’t be intimidated by the word. Just see purpose as something that you want to focus on more than anything else in life.
Your purpose determines who you are. Purpose is the reason something is done or created, or for which something exists. Your purpose is found within. It is your highest motivator and is what gets you out of bed each morning. It is the foundation, the glue or the invisible threads that weave together the culture, values and strategy beneath the surface. To help you understand what your purpose is, focus on these key questions to gain clarity and self-awareness.
- Who are you really?
- What are your core values and core strengths?
- What are your special gifts or your superpowers?
- What positive contributions do you make in the world?
- What lights you up and makes you shine?
- What do you find fulfilling in life?
- What do you love speaking about?
- What does the world need to hear?
- What can you be paid for?
- What are you good at?
- What is your personal connection to your WHY and your chosen speaking topic?
Build your speaking business around your WHY to become its constant heartbeat. Find a topic, niche or a cause that you completely believe in to raise awareness on a local, national or even a global scale. If you can work out a solution to your audience’s problem or provide them with entertainment or information through a theme that you love to focus on then that’s what you speak about!
There are so many different speaker business models to choose from. I chose podcasting as my main speaking medium and it brings in all of my business. What is the best speaking medium for you to deliver your topic?
Focus on the following questions to ensure your speaking business is purpose-driven, values-based and people-centred.
- Who needs to hear what you have to say and why will they be listening to you?
- What do they value?
- What might they not know?
- How will they feel after hearing you speak?
- What action will they take and how will it make a difference to their life or to their business?
- What is your personal connection to the topic?
- How will you position yourself as an expert in this field?
- How will you know you have achieved your purpose?
- Why is this topic relevant now?
- What problem does it solve for your audience?
- Who would be impacted if you didn’t share your expertise and how?
- Where are the main opportunities to speak on this topic and to this specific audience?
Your core values form the internal compass from which you operate both on a personal and a professional level. When you know your values, you’re more able to spot opportunities, make wise decisions and informed choices. Essentially, you’ll know WHY you do what you do and you will uncover, discover or rediscover your purpose. This will be apparent in your work as you will demonstrate value to your audience. If you’re finding your work unfulfilling, it’s highly likely that your work is not actually aligned with your highest values. The reverse is also true.
When was the last time you considered your values? Are you living your life in accordance with them? Take some time to reassess your values and think about how you may need to adapt or realign your speaking business to align with your heart and your mind!
When crafting your speaking business, the WHY comes before the WHAT and before launching into the HOW. The WHY keeps you on track. It holds you accountable for every action and decision. Your WHY sets the course for your life and for your speaking business. That is why knowing your purpose and having a plan are crucial. Otherwise, there is no map, no direction, no focus. It’s simple. Have a purpose. Have a plan. Focus on WHY!
If I were to ask you again, do you know WHY you speak about what you speak about, is it clearer now?
Life Purpose Strategist & Focus on WHY Podcast Host
PSA South East Regional President
Visit her website at https://www.amyrowlinson.com
Join the community
Be part of a thriving community of business leaders and professional speakers
Reasons to join the PSA
- Supportive community
- Learn from others
- Join an one of our 15 regional centres
- Meet like minded people
Get updates on PSA events
"*" indicates required fields